Last week was my sister, Rebecca's, "would-be" 24th birthday, if she weren't living up in Heaven with Jesus. It was the first time since she died that I have been here in Cashmere on her birthday, so my mom asked me to come out with her to the cemetery to put some balloons out there. Of course, the girls came, too, and then we planned a park trip afterwards, since it was a beautiful, sunny, fall day.
We got to the cemetery, and I had explained to Clara that we were going to a "place where I remember my sister, Rebecca, who went to live with Jesus." We had talked about how it was her birthday, and so the whole drive there, Clara was talking about birthdays, presents, blowing out candles, etc. When we got there, she wanted to get out, so I carried her, as we showed her Becca's marker and the balloons. She said, "We should sing happy birthday to her." My mom, sister, and I all got to sit there and listen, as we were too choked up to sing, as my sweet 2-year old sang happy birthday to my beloved sister, Rebecca. It was so special for all of us.
Yesterday, I drove by that cemetery on the way to visit with a friend. I didn't think much of it, until Clara's little voice, from the back of the car said, "Mom, that's where Rebecca's birthday party was!" I replied, "Yeah, honey, you're right." "That's where I sang happy birthday to her!" Again, I responded, fighting back tears, "Yes, sweetie, you did, didn't you?" She paused for a minute, then added, "Rebecca lives with Jesus now."
Amazing what a two year old can not only understand, but believe without a doubt or hesitation.
2 comments:
That is so sweet. So sorry for your loss. I can't imagine losing a sister!
OH! I'm crying my eyes out Laura! Thanks for sharing that beautiful story.
Post a Comment